Getting ready to work

Because from today the 3 weeks of studying for exams are over, I can finally start focusing on the project again and give an update on what I want to achieve in the following days.

Before the actual coding starts and I dive deep into the project, I want to take a short brake, so I can recover my sanity after almost non-stop studying for 3 weeks and catch up with my sleep deficit. But still, there are a few things I need to take care of:

  • Updating my fork of the ScummVM repository
My fork is a few months behind the official repository now, this should take just a few minutes.

  • Plan the first week of coding
I have the project planed into weeks in my GSoC application, but I would like to take a few minutes every weekend to think about the task for the upcoming week and divide it into even smaller sub tasks for each day of the week.

  • Maybe buy another monitor
Since I am used to work in 2 terminal windows next to each other (one running vim with the code I am working on, the other one running vim for editing header files, or compiling the project) I cannot fit anything else on the screen, so web browser, IRC client, terminal with man pages or other useful stuff has to be on a different workspace and because of that I keep switching back and forth between workspaces. So I am considering to buy additional monitor because this.

  • Make a script to show plan for the current week
Currently I have a script, that puts a list of important dates, for example deadlines of projects, dates of exams, etc., into my wallpaper (using imagemagick I generate a new image out of the wallpaper and text with the dates), which I am going to use to display the whole plan of the project. Since I want to plan each week into individual days, I want to make similar script to display that as well.

  • Maybe start coding a little bit earlier
If I feel like I have everything prepared and am in the mood, I might slowly start coding at the weekend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mortville Manor TTS

GSoC update

Google Summer of Code summary